Back to School : Sleep & Learning
That time of year has come around again, it's time to prepare the little ones to go back to school!
The stationery, books and school bags are all ready to go! But how do we prepare our children for a new school term?
Quality sleep patterns and healthy eating habits assist your child to perform their best while in the classroom. However, when it comes to ensuring that your child is getting sufficient sleep leading up to and during school times can be somewhat challenging particularly over the summer months.
It is believed that children over four should be getting between 9 and 10 hours sleep per night. Adequate quality sleep is very important for any child or teenager’s health, well-being and ability to learn. Our following tips will assist you in ensuring that your young ones are well rested and ready for a new school term.
Good sleep on a school night
1. It is important to stick to a routine of going to bed and waking up at the same time each day, ensuring that your young ones receive the essential 9-10 hours’ sleep each night. A recent study conducted by Dr Ines Wilhelm from the University of Tubingen, has shown that a child's brain transforms subconsciously learned material into active knowledge while they sleep, so preparing them for the best night’s sleep may be more important than we thought!
2. Particular food and drink consumed before bedtime can affect how long it takes us to get to sleep or even our overall quality of sleep. Food to avoid includes chocolate, spicy foods and anything high in fat or sugar. Read more from our blog Natural Sleep Aids.
3. Set the best environment for a good night’s sleep. The bedroom should be relatively cool, dark and quiet.
4. Ensure that your child avoids vigorous activity and exercise before bedtime. TV or reading before bed is the perfect way to encourage relaxation.
5. Ensure dinner time is approximately 2 hours before bedtime.
6. A quality mattress, pillow and bedding will provide your child with the comfort and support required for a good night’s sleep. Our team of mattress specialists will assist you in selecting the best mattress and support for a growing mind and body.
So visit your local Bedshed store today, we will assist you to find the perfect sleeping solution for your young ones before school starts up again.